Saturday, April 12, 2008

"The Ochre Robe" - Agehananda Bharati

First of all, I am trying to develop a new kind of humanism, one that values men but denies that the value of mankind is something beyond and above men....I visualize a radical syncretism, with no compromise between the mystical and the intellectual. I am convinced that meditation and intellectual humanism together can generate a unique combination which will eclipse the lop-sided, arid, 'scientific', non-involved scientism prevalent at Western academies...it will also avoid the equally slanted, anti-intellectual mysticism of much older date based on the mistaken ascription of ontological status to subjective experience...

- from the Introduction to "The Ochre Robe" by Agehananda Bharati

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "ochre robe" is mentioned in a Buddhist text referring to the solitary ascetic; Khaggavisana Sutta.
Not to imply it is related to your idea, may I still ask were you aware of this?
From where did you derive the name "The Ochre Robe"?
Many thanks.
Many blessings,
Japhy

Christopher said...

It's the title of one of my favorite books, an autobiography of the swami Agehenanda Bharati (a.k.a. Leopold Fischer). An excellent account of the traditional Indian ascetic tradition from the perspective of a European-born renunciate well-versed in the philosophy of both East and West who later became a Phd. in Comparative Anthropology.

sridharan said...

It's exhilarating to come across your blog. Swami Agehananda's Ochre Robe was a personal sensation for me during my college days. It was banned in India and none of the libraries that held the book were aware of the ban! I read the book in Indian institute of Science, bangalore and my religious outlook was never the same again. I corresponded with the Swami , who was on the faculty of Cultural Anthropology,Univ of ,NY. His articles in The Illustrated Weekly of India, now defunct, used to be as erudite as they were entertaining. His prose was most readable , evocative, and indescribably transparent. It has been my life long ambition to be able to write like him. But then it is difficult to go through his life journey in one life time by us.I was shattered when I learnt of his premature death at 53y of brain cancer. A swami of Dasanami order I don't think he will have another birth!

parvej said...

hello Christopher ,can uyou send the ebook me the book "The Ochre Robe",i want to read it